Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Hope is a woman, and she's gorgeous!

Why is life full of so many ups and downs?

I have written about my hopes and dreams in a few of my previous blogs and different emotions have been attached to each one.

There are always the high points, such as when I see a makeup ad I fall in love with, or a fashion spread in a magazine that is unique and refreshing. When I see these amazing images my modeling engine is kicked into high gear and I feel more confident then ever.

Then there are the low points when I realize that I am not yet where I want to be in my modeling career...

Just as I grab a spoon and begin to dig into that pint of "Chubby Hubby" that has been sitting in my freezer I see an article on Barbie. Yes, the doll we all grew up.

This article is featured in the November issue of O Magazine. I can explain what the article is about, but this image is stronger than any words I can type: 


The dotted lines resemble what a surgeon would have to do to this woman's body to make her look like a real-life Barbie doll.

I knew the measurements of Barbie were unrealistic, but I did not know it was this drastic. 

I continued to read the article and it began to talk about the model in the picture, Katie Halchishick. This young woman has been through the same struggles I have. She had struggled to find modeling work because she was not the standard sample size (00 to 2) and not plus-size (12+). 

Katie has started her own modeling agency called Natural Model Management and, of course, I submitted some of my pictures and crossed my fingers in hopes that I was what they were looking for.

The very next day I got one of the nicest emails I have ever received in my entire life...

I embody their message!

I could not be happier! 

Earlier today, I spoke with Katie on the phone about getting me started. We talked all about the agency and its project "Healthy is the New Skinny" (http://healthyisthenewskinny.com/) where models will travel around to different schools spreading a positive message about body image.

Their goal, well now OUR goal, is to show young girls that being healthy is important. Beauty does not have a weight requirement!

I know that I have struggled with my body image for many years and I am more honored than I can express that I can be a part of something this special. 

This is something that will truly change the world..

Life is full of so many ups and downs because we need the low points in our lives to truly appreciate the high points...    :)


7 comments:

  1. Wonderfully well written. Congrats! I think this is an excellent topic, use of experience, and information. Changing the image of what a model looks. Like will go a long ways toward helping the healthy decisions kids make in the future.

    The writing was crisp, clean, and very well organized. Links to more info and the stunning photo were great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really productive stuff and it flows nicely as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written, and very easy to read.

    Agreed with Derek, definitely an excellent topic and great to bring awareness to minors that worry about their image instead of being healthy. And you are correct, the image brings great character and strength to your piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A well written column with a great message.

    And this is the column that should kick off a whole series of columns: columns about the presentation, the fears, the joys, the people... this is a gold mine of things to write about...

    And this reader will be following....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, these lines tell the whole story and make the column stronger:

    "The dotted lines resemble what a surgeon would have to do to this woman's body to make her look like a real-life Barbie doll.

    I knew the measurements of Barbie were unrealistic, but I did not know it was this drastic."

    In the meantime, I'll skip eating my Rocky Road ice cream tonight in case someone needs an old guy to model a walker or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an exciting agency! Best of luck to you.

    Have you seen HBO's "Rome?" Historically speaking, rounder women in Caesar's time were considered beautiful. I am disappointed the show did not take advantage of the historical context to embrace and glorify a more real body type.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting and well-written! The topic is very interesting and I could totally relate!

    ReplyDelete