Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Look here MISSY!

David's Bridal informed me that I am not a woman.   (extreme frown)

Looking for a wedding dress is one of the most exciting moments in a woman's..well in my case "missy's" life. This ordeal can be quite confusing with there being so many different designers with spring lines, fall lines, winter lines and fantasy lines.

There are even more different types of gowns, ranging from the traditional ballroom gown with the huge skirt, the mermaid gown that clings to every part of your body, the Grecian gown that loosely drapes over you, and numerous variations of each of those styles.

With there being so many different options out there, I decided to look around online to get an idea of what type of dress I was looking for instead of entering a bridal shop and quickly becoming overwhelmed with all of the choices in front of me.

To some, being engaged at 19 is young.

"why now?"

"wait a few years.."

"travel the world"

or flat out "you're too young"

I am not actually getting married until I am 21, which is apparently a more acceptable age. I don't think marriage at a young age is as much of a hot topic as having children at a young age is these days.

Don't worry, this isn't the part where I say my two kids are going to be a part of my ceremony. (They are non-existent if you didn't catch that)

Back to the real issue here. I go to the David's Bridal website and begin my search for the perfect dress. They just added this interactive application called "Dress My Wedding" where you have a figure for each person in your bridal party and you, you guessed it, dress them!

It is probably very helpful if you have a lot of the details already figured out, but I just tried it out to see if it gave me a better look at the dresses.

First you create a profile, picking various features such as skin tone and hairstyle. None of the choices matched me to my liking, but that wasn't a surprise. Just before I clicked "Save and Continue" I saw this box next to my name with two choices: Missy or Woman.

What could this possibly mean? At first I thought of department stores like Macy's or Nordstrom's where they have a "juniors" section which is basically for teenagers or younger women. These items have a young feel to them. The clothes are typically tighter than the women's section and the jeans are usually cut lower.

I pondered over which box I would check. I was a woman right? Getting married was definitely an adult thing. After all, I didn't want my dress to look too young, that'd just be tacky. So I checked "woman" and this is what happened:

WHAT?!

Now let's see "missy":


This is some kind of cruel joke, right?

This is something I have had an issue with for a long time. I understand that our nation is heavily overweight and that the average female is a size 14 or above, but this is getting out of hand.

I understand that no one wants to wear "extended" sizes. And when they made the change to "plus" that wasn't all that appealing either, but to say that "real" sizes are 14 or above is wrong.

Now I have to be overweight to be a woman? Come on.

There are a lot of creative brains out there, I'm sure someone can come up with a better name than that.

Why do I have to be a "Missy"? That seems young and childish and I might just throw a temper-tantrum!

2 comments:

  1. I loved loved loved this column! Good job! It was funny and so easy to read!! I could relate to the problems that were discussed and I love the topic of wedding dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy, miss or woman... the columnist does a nice job of taking a swipe at the bridal industry that dictates soooo much fashion for women.

    And, nice self-disclosure about the writer's personal plans for a wedding:
    as a woman or missy, depending on which way she decides to look at it.

    Nice beginning and a funny ending.

    Here's come the...

    ReplyDelete