Thursday, September 29, 2011

It's not over yet

Tattoos + modeling = NO WAY! / unheard of / not gonna happen!

That is the common belief and typical response I get when I am talking to someone about my aspirations to take my modeling to the next level.

I get it. I really do...to some extent. Modeling is an art. The model is a canvas and most canvases are blank...

However, tattoos are an art form as well. They are a mean of expression and while some people choose to express some not-so-savory feelings on their bodies, some tattoos are truly meaningful.

For too long modeling gigs for women with tattoos were sparse. Sure tattoo magazines would give you a spot in their magazine, but you had to have "enough" tattoos. You couldn't be on the cover of a magazine featuring people with sleeves and full chest pieces when all you have is that butterfly on your ankle you and your BFF got to match and that script of your favorite quote.

What is out there for the tattooed model?


In fashion, one of the most important things to do is to keep things from clashing. Some people feel that tattoos clash with an image and prefer to use models that do not have any tattoos. This is why many people feel discouraged when wanting to pursue modeling if they have some ink.



In a time when Photoshop is so popular I don't see how covering up a tattoo could be so hard, but apparently to some it is too much extra work. I have worked with a variety of different independent photographers and some love my tattoos, while others just cover up whatever little piece shows.

I am gathering the courage to see what a large agency has to say about my tattoos, but that's for another time...

I lose hope on occasion, but then something happens to pick me right back up.

This season of "America's Next Top Model" features the show's all-stars. These are women who competed in previous seasons, but did not win. While watching one of the episodes, I noticed that almost all of women had tattoos! Not hidden ones or ones that could easily be concealed either! (and no, the tattoos were not the reason why they didn't win!)

Now I do know that this does not mean that the entire fashion industry has changed and that all photographers and designers will work with women that have tattoos, but it is a start..

Soon after I saw this episode, I noticed tattooed models more often. This particular one was the much needed jumper cable to my dead battery of hope and dreams:
Those are tattoos on her arms! The "Maybelline: Fit Me" commercial featured this woman and another with a large tattoo of script running down her back. A national campaign! A makeup commercial!

In a world that is constantly changing, it makes sense that the views of those mystical creatures that make the rules of the fashion industry would change as well!


Tattoos + modeling = finally happening?

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting column, on a topic that caught this reader by surprise. It was news, in other words, something I had not thought about, not read about.

    Yet it is a very interesting issue and one that gets at how times and culture are changing.

    It also gets at the issues of how media deal with tattoos.

    To make it stronger, I would look for two things: One, an example of a successful model who has a tattoo or two (sorry about the rhyme there). Second, the columnist needs to reveal more about her tattoos. Are they on her arms, earlobes, toes?

    As she mentioned them, they become a subject of curiosity.

    Nicely done column. The writer's style is very smooth.

    ReplyDelete